Installation of 2-in-1 device in Windows Virtual Box

Hello. I currently run Home Assistant inside a Virtual Box machine. The Virtual Box software is running on a Windows 10 based desktop pc. I just received my new Zigbee and Z-Wave 2in1 Module and have installed it into the PC using a Mini PCIe to PCIe adaptor card. I cannot tell if Windows 10 has recognized the device. Can you tell me how to proceed from here? Do I need to add drivers? Do I need to flash the device, and if so can you provide instructions?

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Hello Mike, Please refer to this instruction - Using Home Assistant in Mixtile Edge 2 Kit | Mixtile

Hello Bobby,

It looks like the instruction you referred me to is for an Edge 2 Kit. I have the new mini PCIe 2-in-1 board. I t doesn’t seem to me like this instruction works in my case. Is there another instruction that does work?

Thanks,
Mikee

In Home Assistant, the steps for adding integrations and add-ons are similar, whether you are running it on the Edge 2 Kit or in a Virtual Box on Windows. The Zigbee Z-Wave module comes pre-flashed by default, so you don’t need to flash the firmware again.

Please note that the module uses a USB port, and you should check if your PCIe to mini-PCIe adapter supports USB data. The Zigbee Z-Wave module will be recognized as a USB device, and you need to switch this USB device from Windows 10 to the Virtual Box environment.

If you need further assistance, feel free to contact us via email, and we can provide support promptly. Additionally, one user has shared their application of this module, which you may find helpful.

Bobby,

Thanks for the info.

First of all, I have been running Home Assistant for 7 or 8 years now, so I am very familiar with how to add Zigbee and Z-Wave devices and integrations.

I currently use a Nortek HUSBZB-1 hub. When I start my virtual machine, it initially does not in Home Assistant, so I must remove it and then add it back for HA to see it. Just a little quirk in Virtual Box I guess.

When I installed your device and powered up the Windows desktop, in Device Manager, it is showing as Com Port 3 and Com Port 4. Each Port is named “Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMx)”.

But if I try to add the Com Ports in Virtual Box, when the machine starts, they disappear in Windows Device Manager, but do not show in HA , nor can I add them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

I think you need to pass through the device as a USB device, not as serial ports.

There is no USB device there that i can pass through.